Our visit to Baddesley Clinton and the ymmy scone there, inspired me to make scones with Jack on Tuesday while we were waiting for the electrician to finish his work so we could go out.
I found a lovely recipe on the bbcgoodfood website for Sugared Scones.
We used this recipe and then added in some chocolate chips that I came across in the baking cupboard.
Oh my there were lovely!
So here is the recipe and the method:
85g butter or margarine
350g self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp. caster sugar
200ml milk warmed to room temp
sugar to sprinkle on the top
half a small bag of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c for fan oven
- Mix the flour and butter into a breadcrumb consistency
- stir in the salt, bicarb and sugar
- Quickly stir in the milk and chocolate drops
- Turn the dough onto a well floured surface and gently fold and knead.
- Pat down to around a 1 inch thickness – (I made mine a tad thin for some of them)
- Using a round stamper, cut out your scones
- Brush with a bit of milk and sprinkle some sugar on the top
- Place onto a greased tray and cook in the oven for around 10-12 minutes
This recipe is brilliant. The scones were slightly crumbly but quite moist at the same time and the chocolate chips made them just that little bit more decadent! Even better with butter and jam. Would have loved to have tried with clotted cream too but we ate them all before I got to buy any!
This recipe made about 10 decent sized scones.